SEVERAL construction-related mishaps have raised concerns about worksite safety especially at major public infrastructure projects.In the latest incident, a crawler crane collapsed on a LRT line extension project at USJ2, Subang Jaya on Aug 17. It was the second crane-related worksite incident within five months.
The Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) has issued a stop-work order.MPSJ president Datuk Asmawi Kasbi said they would visit the site today with the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) before deciding if construction could resume.He was speaking after the council’s monthly fullboard meeting yesterday.Subang Jaya assemblyman Hannah Yeoh said she has received many complaints from residents and road users over the LRT line extension project.
A resident, Hannis Harris, fears for her daughter’s safety as the LRT construction site is situated directly in front of Sekolah Wawasan, USJ 14.While waiting to pick up her daughter last year, she saw construction material falling off a truck directly in front of the school.
“It happened at 2pm and all the children were in class.
“Last year, construction materials were placed for more than a month at the open space next to the school, I told my daughter not to go there for fear that she might hurt herself.
“Children with asthma may be affected as the construction also contributes to air pollution,” she said.
Hannis, who has been living in Subang Perdana Goodyear Court 9 for 18 years, said that although a hearing was held to get feedback, the construction went on anyway despite protests.
“What can we do? This is a public infrastructure project for everyone’s benefit,” she said.
Subang Jaya resident Aaron Raj said he saw a car in front of him crash into cones at the worksite near the traffic light at the Summit USJ junction.
“The cones were not properly arranged, it was a rainy day too,” he said.
USJ 14 resident Patrick Tan, is extra careful whenever he drives past the work sites.
“I have written to the Subang Jaya assemblyman and Prasarana on behalf of residents on issues related to the extension line such as traffic congestion,’’ he said
The 17km LRT line extension from Kelana Jaya will have 13 new stations and will pass through Subang Jaya and USJ before ending at Putra Heights.Work is taking place at a 200m stretch along Persiaran Kewajipan, Persiaran Murni Interchange, Sekolah Wawasan and Subang Perdana Goodyear Court 3.Yeoh has expressed concern that the LRT extension project might be delayed further following the stop- work order.Tan said the stop-work order would also affect responsible contractors, adding that those at fault should be punished.Syarikat Prasarana Negara Berhad (Prasarana) project development division group director Zulkifli Mohd Yusoff said they believe the Aug 17 incident would not have happened if the SOP were strictly adhered to.
“Together with our consultants and contractors, we had reviewed and enhanced the Standard Operating Procedures following the last worksite incident in March.
“The SOPs were tabled and approved for implementation by the Department of Occupational Safety and Health.”
He added, “If our investigations, which are ongoing, reveal that the contractor had blatantly disregarded the SOP, stern action would be taken.“The action might include the appointment of an alternative contractor to perform the work, if need be. In addition, we would continually review and refine the SOP as we progress.” he said.